Thursday, July 10, 2008

another day in the neighborhood

The red hand had just gone up, so I stood on the corner of Walnut waiting for the light to go through another cycle. A silver-haired man stepped onto the curb from the crosswalk and walked into me. I could feel the crisp fabric of his suit on my bare arm. The impact wasn't hard, but it was significant, like half of each of our bodies went through each other. He kept walking, without saying anything or breaking stride.

"Stand your ground, they won't run into you," L always says when I shy away from people on the sidewalk. That's him being wrong. I've been hit before, by bicycle handlebars, by people's swinging hands, by baby strollers.

Today I was reminded me of the time, a few years ago, when a man sped through a crosswalk I had just stepped into (I had the green light) and looked into my eyes as he went by. I knew, from that glance, that my life meant no more to him than a fly's.

That guy looked like he hated me, but to the one today, I was invisible.

5 Comments:

Blogger mama said...

that's my problem with crowded areas. i feel invisible.

i hate that.

i must tell you beth, if i saw you walking down the street i would just plow right into you. with wide open arms. :D

11:13 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Thorpe said...

I would love to run into you on the street!

7:16 PM  
Blogger aghost said...

Two weeks ago I spent five days in New York City, chaperoning a Broadway and the Arts student tour. I love walking/weaving the streets of NYC--I find myself extra aware of everything and everyone around me. Even in the most crowded moments I am comfortable, and connected. Don't know why...

10:59 PM  
Blogger Roman V. Lelefski said...

You probably should be holding a grownup's hand when crossing the street. I know I do. Still, strangers are put off when I grasp their hand.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Jay Morse said...

I like the movement of this piece to what L said, to another time and the sting the driver's eyes, back to the curb and the feeling there.

Control.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home