Friday, July 25, 2008

Vacationland (so far)

1) As soon as I got off the bus in Portland I could smell the trees.

2) Today the trees were dark green against the grey mist. Tomorrow or the next day maybe they'll be that lighter color, the non-evergreens lit through by sunlight.

3) There were little swimming things in the metal watering can on the deck. I think they were pre-bugs. I sat and watched them swim for a while. Also, the watering can had moss in it.

4) Now I'm listening to the rain and my grandmother's clock.

5) Bought a book at the Big Chicken Barn about Party Planning. The previous owner had crossed out all references to alcohol in blue ballpoint pen. I can still read all the words.

6) Trying not to let wanting to live in Maine mar my enjoyment of visiting Maine. A romantic once told me, "It's an emergency that I'm not with you." That's how I feel about here when I'm here. It's an emergency that I spend most of the year Away.

2 Comments:

Blogger mama said...

emergency is an appropriate description. i love that.

11:25 AM  
Blogger aghost said...

I love (and miss) the Chicken Barn.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home